"Pongal" is the main dish served during "Pongal" festival, which is a harvest festival celebrated in South India at the end of harvest season.
1 cup Rice
1 cup Moond dal
1 tsp Black pepper Corn
1/2 inch Ginger, grated
2 tsp Ghee / Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
3 Green Chilies, chopped
6 Curry Leaves
- In a sauce pan, dry roast moong dal until it turns light brown
- In a pressure cooker, cook rice, moong dal, black pepper corn and ginger with 5 cups of water for 3 to 4 whistles
- Using the same sauce pan, heat ghee/ oil, add mustard seeds and when it starts to crackle, add cumin seeds, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Pour seasoning on top of cooked rice and dal. Adjust salt to taste. Mix well
- Serve hot with Coconut Chutney or brinjal curry