Pan fried, pancake shaped, crispy rotti made with rice flour. Akki ( rice in Kannada) rotti is a southern Karnataka based breakfast recipe. Akki rotti is usually compliments with coconut chutney and sometimes ghee is also preferred. Also , it is served with spicy mutton curry which is my favorite accompaniment.
It's a southern delicacy where only few restaurants include rotti in their menu mainly because it is time consuming and takes a little longer to cook when compared to Dosa. But home made rotti's always tastes so good. There are infinite variations to this recipe. Any kind of shredded vegetables can be added to the dough and also increases its nutritional value.
Ingredients4 cups of Rice flour2 Onions, finely chopped1 large bunch of Dill5 Green chilis, chopped1 tsp Cumin seeds4 tsp Grated coconutSaltWater Oil for pan fry
- Boil water in a pot
- Mix together rice flour, onions, dill, cumin seeds, green chilies and salt
- Add boiling water in small batches just enough to for the dough
- Cover the mixing bowl . The steam which is trapped allows the dough to cook partially. Set aside for 15-20 minutes
- Divide the dough into equal portions. Take each portions and shape it into balls
- Place one portion of the shaped dough on a greased flat pan. Wet your palm and pat the dough to form a pancake working from inwards and spread it evenly outwards
- Add few drops of oil on the edges. Cook on medium heat on both the sides until it turns golden brown
- For the next rotti, cool the pan with running cold water and repeat the above 2 steps
- Serve hot with coconut chutney. And some ghee is also preferred