Upma is a hot South Indian breakfast and tiffin food. Cracked wheat is seasoned with Indian condiments, onions and tomatoes. Its a simple recipe made effortlessly.
I like keep upma recipe very simple. My brother who likes upma often complained that he fails to achieve perfection with right consistency either its too soggy or it is too dry. The secret of upma lies in its moistness and cracked wheat separated from one another. With right proportion of water and few drops lemon juice this consistency can be achieved.
3 cups Cracked wheat
2 Onions, diced
1 Ripened Tomato, diced
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Bengal gram
8-10 Curry leaves
1 tsp Grated ginger
5-6 Green Chilies, cut lengthwise
5 cups of water
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
6 tsp Oil
- Roast cracked wheat on a preheated pan over medium heat. When cracked wheat starts to turn light brown, turn off the heat and set aside
- Heat oil in a large pot. To this add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, Bengal gram and curry leaves.
- When it starts to sizzle, add green chilies, onions and ginger. Saute until onions turn transparent
- Then add tomatoes and saute for a minute (do not over cook tomatoes)
- Add water, lemon juice and season it with salt. When it starts to simmer, lower the flame and slowly add cracked wheat stirring in one direction without forming lumps. Cover the pot and cook in low heat for 3-4 minutes
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot