Minty, peppery, spicy and flavored vegetable biryani from Dindugal. Its an appealing dish cooked for masses. Thalapakatti is a regional cuisine from Dindugal in Tamil Nadu.
Me and PG had Thalapakatti Veg Biryani at our friends place. Our dear friend Kamalesh and his newly wed wife Sukanya made this charming and enticing dish.
This recipe is infused with flavors of several spices such as bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, mace, star anise and coriander.Vegetables are cooked with a perfect blend of all these spices. Truly a delectable dish!!
2 cups of mixed Vegetables (carrots, peas, mushroom, beans, potato, cauliflower..), diced
1/2 cup Oil
2 Bay leaf
6 Cardamom pods
2 Sticks of Cinnamon
1 Star Anise
1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
1/4 tsp Pepper corns
5 Green Chilies
a Sprig of Curry Leaves
3 tsp crushed Ginger and Garlic
1 large Onion, Cut lengthwise
1 small bunch of Mint, only leaves & chopped
1 small bunch of Cilantro, chopped
1 Tomato, diced
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Biryani Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam Masala
4 cups Seeragasamba Rice / Basmati Rice
4 cups of water
- Wash and soak rice in water for 15 minutes
- In a large pot, heat oil. When it is smoking hot, add these ingredients - bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, mace, star anise, fennel seeds, pepper corns, green chilies, curry leaves, ginger & garlic. Saute for few seconds
- Then add onions and tomatoes. Saute until onions and tomato softens
- Add coriander leaves and mint
- Add the vegetables, turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder, biryani masala and salt. Cook vegetables on medium heat without adding water. About 15 minutes
- Now drain water from the rice. And transfer the rice to the pot. Add water and adjust salt as per to the taste. Mix well. Cover the pot and cook on medium-low for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with raita