"Ragi Rotti" is a traditional breakfast recipe in the state of Karnataka. Ragi is an extremely nutritious millet with an great source of carbohydrate, protein, fiber and calcium. It is also an excellent food for weight loss program and for those who have diabetes. It is given to kids between the ages 1.5 yrs to 5 yrs in the form of ragi seri for development of bones.
Even today, consumption of ragi has been a staple diet in my house and it is prepared in the form of flat bread (rotti), ragi ball, Dosa, idli or Ragi kanji.
This recipe is made with ragi flour combined with onions, dill, green chilies, cilantro and cumin. It is quiet filling.
2 Cups of Ragi flour
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Carrot, shredded (optional)
1 bunch of Dill, finely chopped
Handful of cilantro, finely chopped
5 Green Chilies, finely chopped
1 tsp Cumin seeds
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients. Add enough water to knead it into a smooth dough
- Now divide the dough into equal portions and roll it into balls. About 3 inches each
- Smear few drops of oil on a full flat pan. Take a portion of ragi ball, place it at the center, start patting along the edges and flatten it into a circle
- Cover the pan and fry evenly on both the sides. Add a little oil on the sides if needed
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and Ghee