Pidi Kozhukattai is steamed rice dumpling from South Indian Cuisine. This Kozhukattai is made specially for Ganesha Chathurthi. It is also served for breakfast. It is primarily made with rice and seasoned with different condiments. This dumpling is a healthy recipe for evening snack or breakfast. You can replace it with ragi to make Ragi Kozhukattai.
1 cup Raw rice, soak in water for 5 hours
1 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Bengal gram
1 sprig curry leaves
4 green chilies, finely chopped
3 tsp Fresh Coconut, finely chopped
- Grind rice finely with little water
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, when it splutters add bengal gram, curry leaves and green chilies.
- Now add ground rice and adjust salt as per taste. Start stirring in one direction until it forms thick dough
- After the above mixture cools, divide the dough in to equal portions about 1 1/2 inch. Take a portion of dough, roll it into oval shape and press it between fingers
- Place these Kozhukattai in idli vessel and steam for 10 to 12 minutes
- Serve hot