One of the most popular dessert and common in every household made with fresh carrots, whole milk, and sugar flavored with cardamon and topped with roasted nuts. It is simply delicious, crunchy and the flavor of milk adds a bonus to the taste.
Carrot halwa is usually served warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. I love this combination and had several times in weddings. In this recipe, i substituted milk with milk powder which has same consistency of khowa when cooked .
Carrots, shredded 8 nos
Whole Milk 1 cup
Milk powder 1 cup
Cardamom Powder 1/2 tsp
Sugar 3/4 cup
Cashew nuts 1/4 cup
Raisins 1/4 cup
Ghee 4 tsp
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat a tsp of ghee. Add carrots and sautee for 5 minutes. Then keep it aside
- Add another tsp of ghee, cashew nuts and raisins. Fry until cashew nuts turn golden brown. keep it aside
- Now add milk, sugar and stir well until sugar is melted
- Add sauteed carrots, milk powder and cardamon powder. Mix well and cook until carrots are cooked and milk evaporates
- Add remaining ghee and fried nuts. Mix well
- Serve warm with a dollop if ice cream