"Avalakki Chitranna" is a quick and an easy breakfast recipe. Its a nutritious meal incorporated with beaten rice (poha/ avalakki), Indian condiments, onions, peanuts and green chilies. This recipe is same as lemon rice, the only difference is steamed rice is replaces with soaked avalakki.
This is a better option then steamed white rice and a very light breakfast recipe.
I used medium avalakki for this recipe which takes 10 minutes to soak.
2 cups Beaten rice (avalakki/ poha)
3 cups Water
Juice of 1 Lime
4 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Bengal gram
3 tsp Peanuts
4 Green chilies, finely chopped
5 Curry leaves
1 Small Onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp Turmeric
Few sprigs of Cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
Freshly grated coconut (optional)
- Soak avalakki in water for 10 minutes. Use a colander to wash and squeeze water. Transfer it to a mixing bowl
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, Bengal gram and peanuts. When they turn golden brown; add green chilies, curry leaves and onions. Saute until onions softens
- Add turmeric and transfer the contents to the mixing bowl
- Add lime juice and salt. Mix well
- Add cilantro and coconut to boost flavor.