Try this quick recipe to devour. An easy tea time snack to munchkin. Khara papri are thin crisps deep fried spicy squares paired with tea. It is spicy, light and easy to prepare.
I make papdis to prepare chats like masala puri, dhahi papdi, papdi chat or sometimes serve it plain with tea or coffee. Another innovative use is to add it in salads. Just crush papdis and add it to salads. It is crispy in every bite. I also liked the idea to eat it like chips and salsa or just dip with tangy chutney!!
1 cup Flour
1 tsp Pepper corns
1/2 tsp Ajwain (caraway seeds)
1/2 tsp Salt
Oil for deep frying
- Coarsely grind pepper corns and ajwain
- Whisk together flour, pepper powder, ajwain and salt
- Add cold water to knead into stiff dough. Cover it with a damp cloth and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes
- Now divide the dough into equal shaped balls. Roll each ball into thin circles., Prick papdi using fork
- Use cookie cutter to cut into different shapes
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed deep dish
- Gently drop each papdi into oiol. Fry evenly until it turns golden brown
- Use absorbent paper to drain excess oil. Set aside until it cools. Store in an air tight container for future use