Chicken Thokku truly a southern taste of India. It is prepared with very few key ingredients like onions and tomatoes which is used in preparation of the curry. It is spiced up with Chennai Chili powder (which I call) which is prepared with coriander seeds and guntur chillies in 1.5 ::1.0 ratio and garam masala powder.
I suggest to include lots of turmeric powder, it is not added not just for its benefits; but it adds a lot of color and taste to the recipe.
This is my first attempt to make Chicken Thokku. All credit goes to my Mother-in-law who made the chili powder.
500 gms Chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
5 tsp Oil
1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 medium sized Onion, diced
2 Tomatoes , diced
3 tsp Chili - coriander powder or 2 tsp Chili powder and 1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed utensil
- Add ginger garlic paste and turmeric powder. Give it a little stir
- Then add onions. Sauté for few seconds. Add chili-coriander powder. Mix well
- Add tomatoes. Mix well
- Add chicken with 2 cups of water. Cook for 15 minutes
- Adjust salt as per to the taste. Cook for another 15 minutes until chicken is completely cooked and the color of gravy deepens
- Serve hot with steamed rice