The main ingredient for this recipe is brinjal, but also used potatoes to give a smooth texture.
This recipe tastes best when made with green brinjals. Due to non-availability, I have used purple- long brinjals.
Previously I had posted Brinjal and potato poriyal. But this recipe is from Mysore cuisine.
500 gms Purple / green -long brinjals, cut length wise 2in
2 potatoes, chopped thinly
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Bengal gram
1 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp Asafoetida |Hing
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1/2 cup grated fresh coconut | desiccated coconut powder
4 tsp Oil
For spice powder
2 tsp Coriander seeds
2 tsp Bengal gram
4 - 6 Red Chilies
1 small piece Cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- Dry roast coriander seeds, bengal gram, red chilies, cinnamon stick, and asafoetida. Make a fine powder of roasted ingredients
- In a heavy bottom vessel, heat oil, add mustard seeds, Bengal gram, urad dal, asafoetida, and curry leaves.
- Add potatoes. Sautee for 5 minute
- Add brinjal. Sautee for 15 minutes
- Add roasted spice powder, coconut and adjust salt as per taste
- Fry for 2-5 minutes
- Serve hot as a side dish with rice- sambhar, rice - rasam, chapathi etc.
You may also like -