During my visit to Chennai, I went to a restaurant where they served three different kinds of chutneys for Idly and Dosa, like Coconut Chutney, mint/pudina chutney and tomato chutney. and the most I enjoyed was tomato chutney with idly.
In the past I have tried differed variations of tomato chutney. Tomato - Onion Chutney is one of them and the recipe follows.
2 Tomatoes, Chopped
1 Onion, Chopped
3 tsp Urad Dal
1 tst, Channa Dal or Bengal Gram
4 Red Chilies
1'' Ginger, chopped
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
2 Red chilies
3-4 Curry Leaves
2 tsp oil
- In a pan, heat oil, add urad dal and channa dal. Fry until it turns light brown. Remove it and keep it aside. Retain oil in pan.
- In the same pan, add ginger and onions. Fry until onions turn transparent and then add tomatoes. Saute until tomatoes are completely cooked. Adjust salt as per taste
- Using a blender, grind fried ural dal, channa dal, red chilies, onions and tomato mix. Make a smoth paste. Add water as required
- In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds. when it starts to crackle add urad dal, red chilies and curry leaves. Pour it on top if tomato chutney
- serve it with idly and dosa