Boiled eggs is an easy ingredient to work with. They can be used in variety of dishes; it can be sauteed, or used in salads or deep fried or even dunked in curries. The other ingredient is tomato which is used in most of the dishes. And the combination of eggs and tomatoes works pretty well.
I created this dish using boiled eggs and tomato as primary ingredients. I made this recipe on a rainy day. You can save this recipe for monsoons because tangy taste works well on a chilly day.
You can prepare the sauce in advance and soak boiled eggs 15 minutes before serving. The gravy tastes best when it is served following day
12 Boiled eggs, peeled and slit in middle
1 small piece ginger, finely chopped
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
Marble sized Tamarind
2 tsp Sambhar powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Red Chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Cumin powder
2 tsp Oil
For the puree
5- 6 Tomatoes
1 tsp oil
1 bay leaf
1 Star anise
1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
1 stick of Cinnamon
- Puree tomatoes using a blender.
- In a large pot, heat oil, add star anise, bay leaf, fennel seeds, cloves and cinnamon. Then add tomato puree. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Keep it aside
- In a small bowl, heat tamarind and water. Extract pulp and filter it. Discard its contents.
- Add sambhar powder to tamarind and mix well
- In a large pot, heat oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. when it starts to crackle add ginger and onions. Saute in medium flame until onions turn brown
- Add tamarind and tomato puree. Adjust salt as per taste. Simmer for 15 minutes
- Add boiled eggs and simmer for 5 minutes
- garnish with coriander and serve hot with steamed rice