By choosing perfect sized egg plant and good quality ripened tomatoes; and the combination of these two makes bhartha totally an exquisite dish.
Baingan Bhartha is a wonderful North Indian vegetarian recipe that tantalizes your taste buds. Roasted egg plant is slow cooked with onions and tomatoes. The sweetness of ripened tomatoes is combined with charred flavor of egg plant gives it a very good taste.
Previously, I have posted Baingan Bhartha in Shruchi Kitchen. But this recipe is truly in Punjabi style.
1 Egg Plant
2 Ripened tomatoes, finely chopped
1 Onion, thinly sliced
2 Green chilies, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Red Chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
3 tsp Oil
- Roast egg plant in slow flame on a stove top. Cook until all skin in charred
- Allow egg plant to cool. Peel discard the skin. Mash or chop the pulp and keep it aside
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat oil, add green chilies, onions. Fry until onions turn transparent
- Then add tomatoes and fry for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add chopped egg plant pulp, red chili powder, turmeric powder and adjust salt as per taste
- Cook in low heat for 10 to 15 minutes until tomatoes and egg plant pulp are completely cooked
- Serve hot with paratha, roti or chapathi