Ingredients250 gms Tilapia Fish (or any Kind)
5 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
6 Garlic Cloves (sliced)
3 Green Chilis (cut lengthwise)
5 Curry leaves
5 Small Onions (sliced)
1 large or 1 cup Tomato Puree
1 cup Raw Mango (diced)
1 lemon sized Tamarind (soaked in water)
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Red chili powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. When oil is smoky, add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds And when the seeds start to splutter, add garlic, green chilies and curry leaves. Saute for 30 sec.
- Add onions and saute for 1 minute until onions start to wilt.
- Add the dry spice powders - turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Saute 15 sec. This is an important step, it gives deep color to the curry.
- Then add mango. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree. Extract tamarind pulp and add it to the curry. Mix well. Cook for 10-12 minutes until the curry begins to boil. Allow the curry to boil for another 2 minutes. Add salt per taste.
- Add fish to the curry and cook in low heat for 5 minutes. Do not stir other wise fish will break.