Boneless chicken is cooked with thick onion gravy spiced up with lots of pepper is a fantastic treat for a party weekend. I love this recipe so much that, I have ended up making it almost every week. And of course not forget, this is another recipe which I learnt from my mother-in-law Mrs. Mohana Gopi.
This is also a comfort food during holiday season with long and cold winter nights. It can be served either as appetizer with reduced gravy or served on top hot rice with lots of gravy. Also, pepper chicken is an excellent treat for meat lovers!!
500 gms Boneless chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Pepper powder
4 tsp Oil
For the gravy:
2 Onions, cubed
4 Garlic cloves
1/2 inch Ginger
- Make a smooth paste of onions, garlic and ginger using a blender
- In a skillet, heat oil. when it turns smoky, add onions; sautee until it turns transparent
- Add the chicken, turmeric powder and pepper powder. Stir to coat
- Return the onion paste to skillet and mix well. Cook in medium-low heat for 10 minutes
- Adjust salt as per taste and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes (see note)
- Serve hot
Cover the skillet if you want more gravy and add 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth. If you dont want gravy , then cook chicken without covering skillet in low heat.
Additionally, bell pepper can also be added.