Thayir Semiya recipe is very close to my heart. Thayir Sadham otherwise called curd rice is a typical South Indian recipe which has so many dimensions and variations. Well, Thayir semiya is one of them.
I always plan the menu ahead of time. But, there are certain days I want to be away from kitchen or even those days where I haven't planned the menu. Thayir Sadham comes in handy!! Both me and PG enjoy this delicious food. And its a great recipe for a lunch box menu.
The recipe itself is very simple, composed of cooked roasted semiya which is seasoned with mustard seeds, bengal gram, curry leaves, lots of fresh ginger, green chilies and yogurt.
Cooking time: 20min | Serves: 3
2 cups Semiya (vermicelli)
3 Cups of water
1 tsp Grated Ginger
2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
Few sprigs of Cilantro, finely chopped
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Bengal gram
Few springs of Curry leaves
2 Red Chilies (optional)
- On a preheated sauce pan, roast semiya until it turns light brown. Set aside
- In the same pan, boil water and season it with salt
- Add semiya and stir well. Cover the dish. Cook for 8-10 min until semiya is cooked and water is completely absorbed. Let is cool
- Heat oil in a pan. When it turn smoky add mustard seeds, bengal gram, curry leaves and red chilies. Pour the seasoning on top of semiya
- Add yogurt, ginger, cilantro and chilies. Mix well
- Chill or serve as needed
Use a fork to separate semiya. When the semiya is warm, they easily seperate