An age old recipe from South India, yet enjoyed by people from different age groups. Its the most commonly served temple prasadham, to festival, breakfast and lunch box recipes.
My love for this recipe is so immense that I want to share this recipe to everyone. Lemon rice used to be my lunch box recipe atleast once a week until I graduated. And the joy cannot be expressed when I used to shared my food with the friends @ lunch time ....
A very simple seasoning comprising of oil, mustard seeds, bengal gram, peanuts, curry leaves, onions, turmeric and lemon juice is integrated with warm white rice. A dash of lemon juice and turmeric highlights this lemon rice recipe and to add a little crunch peanuts and channa dal are incorporated.
2 Cups of Rice
Few sprigs of Cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
4 tsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Bengal gram
4 tsp Peanuts
2 sprigs of Curry leaves
5-6 Green Chilies, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Cook rice with 4 cups of water. Allow rice to cool and separate the rice using a fork or ladle
- In a sauce pan, heat oil. When it is smoky, add mustard seeds, bengal gram & peanuts. Saute until it turns light brown
- Then add curry leaves and green chilies. Give it a little stir
- Add onions. Saute until it turns transparent. Then add turmeric powder. Stir for few seconds. Pour this seasoning on top of freshly prepared rice
- Squeeze lemon juice and add cilantro. Adjust salt as per taste. Mix well
- Serve immediately